How do we use and share your personal information?
All personal data is processed and stored securely, for no longer than is necessary considering the reason(s) for which it was first collected. We will comply with our obligations and safeguard your rights under the GDPR at all times.
Our use of your personal data will always have a lawful basis, either because it is necessary for our performance of a contract with you, because you have consented to our use of your personal data (e.g. by subscribing to emails), or because it is in our legitimate interests*. As a regulated financial services organisation, we’re required to comply with legal and regulatory obligations such as the prevention, detection and reporting of fraud and other financial crime. Specifically, we may use your data for the following purposes (our legal basis for processing personal information):
- develop, improve, and personalise our products, pricing and services;
- enhance our customer service, experience, and relationship (e.g. customer and market research, business analysis, provide relevant product and service information);
- improve the relevance of our advertising and marketing campaigns;
- help detect and prevent fraud and financial crime. If this is detected, you could be refused certain services, finance or employment. Where we suspect financial crime or fraud has taken place we may cancel your policy and may not be able to pay any claim. We may share relevant information with crime and fraud prevention agencies, law enforcement agencies and other relevant organisations;
- develop and improve our administration, security systems and insurance applications;
- share it with third parties in the event of organisational change (e.g. if we bought or merged with another organisation);
- to provide quotes, administer policies including the administration of claims to fulfil our contract with you. This includes sharing information with, and obtaining information from, relevant service providers such as Veterinary Practices and other animal healthcare providers as relevant to your claims. We’ll also collect any other information from other parties as required in order to process claims e.g. from third party claimants, witnesses, police;
- if your veterinary practice is part of our accredited network**, and your policy is associated with this practice, the following will be made available to them via a secure online portal on a real-time basis:
- basic details of any products you hold or have previously held with us – including whether your policy is in financial arrears;
- ability to submit a lead enquiry to us with your permission;
- establish the status of any lead enquiry that the veterinary practice, with your permission, submits on your behalf;
- ability to submit a claim, request a claim pre-authorisation and / or submit and redeem Preventative Care Vouchers where applicable;
- the summary status of any claims that you make;
- to fulfil our legal and regulatory obligations;
- to provide you with relevant marketing information where you have provided consent for this;
- to process payments securely. If you use a payment card to make a payment we receive a unique transaction code and an extract of your card number only. This is stored to provide a record of the transaction;
- to renew your policy automatically if you pay for your policy via direct debit. We will write to you at least 28 days before your policy renews to advise of any changes to the terms and / or premiums;
- in the event that we process personal information outside the UK, the processing in those locations is protected by UK and European data standards. For example, where your claim occurs abroad we will also send data to the necessary service providers as required to service your claim;
- we may need to share any personal information, including policy, claims and suspected fraud and other financial crime information, with our reinsurers and reinsurance brokers. Reinsurers provide insurance policies to insurance companies.
*Legitimate Interest means the interest of our business in conducting and managing ourselves to enable us to give you the best products, services and customer experience. We make sure we consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative) and your rights before we process your personal data for our legitimate interests and have conducted a ‘Legitimate Interests Assessment’ (LIA) to facilitate this. This will be repeated at least every 2 years. We do not use your personal data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law). You can obtain further information about how we assess our legitimate interests against any potential impact on you in respect of specific activities by contacting us. Please refer to the ‘Who we are and how to contact us’ section if you wish to do so.
**For a full list of current Vetsure accredited veterinary practices please visit http://www.vetsure.com/our-network/