Call our quote line
So we have finally reached our number 1 spot! So what is the most common poisoning case reported?….The Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS)* have received approximately 11,502 enquiries to date relating to poisoning resulting from the ingestion Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Analgesic Drugs or NSAID’s.
These drugs most commonly include ibuprofen, carprofen and diclofenac. These are human “over the counter” medication to treat pain and inflammation.
Ibuprofen is particularly dangerous to dogs and can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, gastric ulceration (damage to the stomach lining) and kidney failure. A large dose could potentially be fatal.
Never leave any medication within reach of curious pets and do not be tempted to give your pet a tablet intended for human’s if you suspect he or she might be in pain – you could potentially do more harm than good. Always speak to your vet for advice and they will recommend an appropriate course of treatment if required.
If you suspect your pet has eaten some of these tablets (or indeed any other human medicines) speak to your vet as soon as possible and take any packaging with you.
Don’t take any chances – this is the most common cause of poisoning in pets in the UK today!
* The Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS) is an internationally renowned poisons information service which provides the veterinary profession with 24 hour support and advice on the diagnosis and management of poisoned animals. They advise on approximately 25,000 cases in total per year. For more information about the VPIS please click here to visit the VPIS website. If you suspect your pet may have been poisoned, come into contact with any kind of toxin or otherwise appears unwell please contact your Vet in the first instance.