Call our quote line

0800 050 2022

Get a quote online >

    Image Pet Information

Pet poisons & toxins pt 2: Batteries

The Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS)* have received approximately 1,369 enquiries to date relating to poisoning resulting from the ingestion of common household batteries – the 9th most common poisoning reported to them.  The culprits are typically cell style (button) batteries like the one in the picture and AA and AAA batteries that you would find in many toys, remote controls, gadgets etc.

Most batteries contain either strong acids or alkalis and many have a high metal content too.  Ingestion of batteries may result in severe chemical burns, particularly to the mouth, throat and stomach – which can result in severe impairment of both breathing and swallowing.

Keep all batteries (and items containing them which they show an interest in) stored securely and out of reach of your pets.  If you think your pet may have chewed or swallowed a battery contact your vet immediately and, if possible, confirm the type of battery involved including any codes on the packaging.

* The Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS) is an internationally renowned poisons information service which provides the veterinary profession with 24 hour support and advice on the diagnosis and management of poisoned animals.  They advise on approximately 25,000 cases in total per year.  For more information about the VPIS please click here to visit the VPIS website.  If you suspect your pet may have been poisoned, come into contact with any kind of toxin or otherwise appears unwell please contact your Vet in the first instance.

COMING UP IN PART 3:  We take a look at Number 8 on the VPIS’s common poisons list – grapes, raisins and sultanas!

Share This Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Select a category:



Fill in our online form or call 0800 050 2022