Call our quote line

0800 050 2022

Get a quote online >

    Image Pet Information

Pet poisons & toxins pt 3: Grapes, raisins & sultanas

The Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS)* have received approximately 2,029 enquiries to date relating to poisoning resulting from the ingestion of raisins, grapes and sultanas – the 8th most common poisoning reported to them.  This may come as a surprise to many as they are probably not the first things you would think of when considering what might be poisonous to your pet.

Otherwise known as Vitis Vinifera, the toxic agent involved is not currently understood, but ingestion can cause kidney failure in dogs, and potentially in other animals.  The quantity of raisins/grapes/sultanas required in order to cause poisoning seems to vary.  Some dogs have eaten large quantities with no ill-effects, whilst others have gone into kidney failure after only a small quantity.  Therefore, to be on the safe side it would be best not to allow your dog any access to raisins, grapes or sultanas at all.

* The Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS) is an internationally renowned poisons information service which provides the veterinary profession with 24 hour support and advice on the diagnosis and management of poisoned animals.  They advise on approximately 25,000 cases in total per year.  For more information about the VPIS please click here to visit the VPIS website.  If you suspect your pet may have been poisoned, come into contact with any kind of toxin or otherwise appears unwell please contact your Vet in the first instance.

COMING UP IN PART 4:  We take a look at Number 7 on the VPIS’s common poisons list – Lilies.

Share This Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Select a category:



Fill in our online form or call 0800 050 2022