Call our quote line
The Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS)* have received approximately 2,687 enquiries to date relating to poisoning resulting from the ingestion of Permethrin – the 5th most common poisoning reported to them.
Firstly, what is it?? Permethrin is an insecticide that is commonly found in some flea treatments available from pet shops, supermarkets and some DIY stores. Cats are extremely sensitive to permethrin and even the appropriate dose for a dog (its use is effective and safe in dogs) can be fatal to a cat. Some topical “spot-on-type” treatments contain very concentrated solutions of permethrin and can, therefore, be very dangerous to cats. Members of the Vetsure team have witnessed a recent DIY store ‘Product Recall’ when it was realised that they had mis-informed cat owners about the use of one of their permethrin based products.
It is for this and all the reasons above that we always recommend that you go to see your vet to get advice on and obtain flea products.
For more information, the Feline Advisory Bureau (FAB) have published an article and findings relating to permethrin cases. Please click here to access this.
* The Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS) is an internationally renowned poisons information service which provides the veterinary profession with 24 hour support and advice on the diagnosis and management of poisoned animals. They advise on approximately 25,000 cases in total per year. For more information about the VPIS please click here to visit the VPIS website. If you suspect your pet may have been poisoned, come into contact with any kind of toxin or otherwise appears unwell please contact your Vet in the first instance.
COMING UP IN PART 7: We take a look at Number 4 on the VPIS’s common poisons list – Paracetamol.