Call our quote line

0800 050 2022

Get a quote online >

    Image Pet Information

Pet poisons & toxins pt 9: Rat / mice poison

The Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS)* have received approximately 10,303 enquiries to date relating to poisoning resulting from the ingestion of rat and mouse poison – the 2nd most common poisoning reported to them.

These products – which typically take the form of pellets – are used to control rodent infestations.  Some of these contain ingredients (including warfarin) which act as an anti-coagulant and can cause excessive bleeding and bruising.  The effects may not be apparent in your pet for several days.

Keep your pet away from areas where you know or suspect rodent poison has been laid.  If you think your pet may have ingested some contact your vet immediately – time is of the essence as with any poison case.  Take any packaging with you and show this to your vet.  A treatment with Vitamin K1 may be administered to help counteract the effects of the anti-coagulant.

* The Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS) is an internationally renowned poisons information service which provides the veterinary profession with 24 hour support and advice on the diagnosis and management of poisoned animals.  They advise on approximately 25,000 cases in total per year.  For more information about the VPIS please click here to visit the VPIS website.  If you suspect your pet may have been poisoned, come into contact with any kind of toxin or otherwise appears unwell please contact your Vet in the first instance.

COMING UP IN THE FINAL INSTALMENT:  We take a look at Number 1 on the VPIS’s common poisons list, but what will it be?  Tune in next week to find out.

Share This Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Select a category:



Fill in our online form or call 0800 050 2022