Vetsure Covid-19 Update
The Vetsure team are fully set up to work from home. It's business as usual for us so please feel free to call us to talk about your policy or email [email protected] To help us minimise delay, we're asking you to avoid posting claim forms to us where possible. Claims can be emailed to us at [email protected] or, if your practice is part of our network, please ask your Vet to submit your claim digitally via their Vetsure e-claims option. Thank you. We wish you and your pets the very best of health.

Call our quote line

0800 050 2022

Get a quote online >

    Image Pet Information

Rock Salt and the dangers to pets

Rock salt is a mixture of salt and grit and is widely used to de-ice paths and roads during cold weather. Anti-freeze is commonly used by road users to de-ice vehicles before driving and is becoming a popular addition to garden water features to ensure they still run during a cold snap. Due to their make-up, both can be deadly to animals if ingested, causing dehydration, muscle tremors, kidney and liver problems and, if not treated, death. Estimates provided to Government Environment Minister George Eustice suggest that 50 cats die each month in the winter from anti-freeze poisoning (source Sunday People paper, 1st February edition).

As even ingestion of small amounts can be fatal, vigilance is key and there are some simple things that you can do to ensure your pet’s health during the colder months.

The commonest way for rock salt to be ingested is by pets licking lodged salt from their paws and fur whilst grooming. Paws and fur can be cleaned with warm water, a mild pet shampoo and a soft brush, and you should keep your shoes away from pets so they don’t lick any clinging salt from them. Check under your car for sleeping pets before using anti-freeze and, as it can be somewhat sweet, any spills should be cleared up as soon as possible. And, of course, if you or your neighbours have a water feature, you should allow nature to takes its course as local cats may use the feature as a water source and ingest the anti-freeze that way.

Early signs of ingestion include excessive salivation after grooming and excessive drinking. Other signs include lethargy and strange/unusual noises from your pet, as this may indicate they are in pain. As these pet behaviours may be similar to other illnesses, ingestion can only be confirmed via blood tests to show abnormal blood sodium concentration, so immediate veterinary attention should be sought. Never attempt to induce vomiting in your pet as a ‘cure’, this should only be done by a Vet.

Share This Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Select a category:



Fill in our online form or call 0800 050 2022