Call our quote line
Spring is an exciting time for a pet, there are new smells, new walks, and new friends to meet, but spring it also a time that can bring hazards to your pet’s wellbeing. These are some important things to look out for this spring.
Spring flowers can cause serious harm to your pet, daffodils and bluebells particularly can be toxic to them. They cause a wide range of symptoms including vomiting, lethargy and abnormal breathing. If you think your pet has swallowed a flower it is best to immediately consult your vet.
Make sure your pets’ vaccinations are up to date for the spring season. The warmer weather means an influx of bugs so make sure to check your pet for fleas and ticks on a regular basis.
If your pet is outside in the sun, make sure there is plenty of easily accessible water and shade, so they do not overheat. It is incredibly important to never leave your pet unattended in a car, cars warm up a lot quicker in the warmer months.
Pets are curious and a flying fluffy looking creature, such as a bee, will catch their attention. Reactions to bee stings can include mild swelling and tenderness; some pets are allergic to bee stings and will need emergency vet care if stung. It is always best to consult your vet as to what to do if your pet has a bee sting.
Dust, mould and pollen allergies can start to rear ahead in the warmer weather. Like people, dogs and cats can have seasonal allergies, symptoms include sneezing, scratching, licking and chewing. Consult your vet to determine the best treatment for your pet.
With the grass now growing in the sunny weather you may be inclined to use pesticides or fertilisers. Unfortunately, when ingested your pet can become very unwell, if you absolutely must use these then keep your pet well away from any areas you need to cover.
When it comes to spring cleaning you may be using products that include ingredients such as, ammonia, bleach and chlorine. These can all cause stomach problems for your pets. It is best to keep them in a separate room until all surfaces are dry.
During spring is the Easter holiday, and it is full of chocolate, but chocolate is poisonous to your pet. However small or large amount they ingest, it can be serious and involve a long stay at the vets, so keep it well away from your pets.
Another Easter treat, hot cross buns, contains raisins, and raisins are bad for your pet. They can cause kidney failure, this is especially in dogs. Best to keep the buns in the cupboard.
It is important to keep an eye on any changes in your pet, whether they be behavioural or physical, if anything is out of the ordinary or you suspect your pet has got hold of something they shouldn’t have, then consult your vet in the first instance.