Back to news

Keeping Your Cat Safe Around Flowers Toxic to Cats this Spring

Nothing says spring like fresh flowers, with the beautiful aroma that fills the air and the stunning colours that brighten up the room. However, behind the beauty there are a several flowers toxic to cats. Therefore, we need very to be careful with the flowers we choose to have in our home and understand how we can keep our pets safe if we do indulge in spring bouquets.

This article outlines the most common flowers found within the house and garden during spring, which may not necessarily be known as flowers toxic to cats. We also suggest how to keep your cat safe around flowers toxic to cats, and what to do in the case they do accidentally come into contact with these toxins.

Flowers Toxic to Cats

  • Lilies

Lilies contain highly toxic substances which can be very dangerous to our pets. Even just drinking the water from the vase can be dangerous!

  • Daffodil

Much like lilies, all parts of the daffodil can cause harm to your cats, but the bulbs are the most toxic part, if ingested these can be very threatening.

  • Amaryllis

These can be quite a popular gift but unfortunately the stalks, flowers and bulbs are all toxic to our furry friends. It is advised not to have these around your cat at all.

  • Tulip

The tulip is beautiful to see but like the amaryllis the bulb in a tulip is the most toxic part. Although it is good to keep in mind that any part of the flower may cause your cat harm.

  • Chrysanthemums

These magnificent flowers are only mildly toxic, but you should still be careful. The reason for this is that they contain pyrethrins which are used in dog flea and tick medication and are particularly poisonous to cats.

  • Hyacinth

Much like the other plants listed above the Hyacinth bulb is the most poisonous part of the plant, however your cat should not ingest any of the plant.

  • Iris & Crocus

Like many popular spring flowers, the most toxic part is the bulb. Along with gladioli these types of plants should be kept away from your cat. The spring crocus can cause gastrointestinal issues including vomiting and diarrhoea if any part is ingested.

What to Do if Your Cat Has Ingested Flowers Toxic to Cats?

If you suspect your cat has accidentally eaten one of the flowers toxic to cats on this list above, please contact your vet immediately and seek assistance. Even if there are no signs or they don’t seem to be acting differently, you should always seek advice in case treatment needs to be administered. These toxins can be extremely dangerous, and it could become fatal, so it’s vital that you speak to a vet as soon as you can.

Some signs of poisoning are salivation, vomiting, diarrhoea, respiratory distress, collapse, tremors, skin irritation and in bad cases seizures, collapse, and ulcers of the mouth. Your cat may not experience all of these listed, but if you suspect your can has ingested flowers toxic to cats and is showing even just one of these signs, it is essential to contact the vet.

How to Keep Your Cat Safe

If you do have any of the above flowers in your home, we would suggest keeping them completely out of reach of your cat, whether that’s in a room they don’t go into or on a surface they cannot get to. We understand this may be difficult as most cats tend to jump and climb on most surfaces within the house! With this, the best advice we can give is to avoid having these in your home all together!

Some safe spring flowers you may want to use in your house instead could include Freesias, Pansies, Gerbera Daisies or Roses. Using these you still get the beautiful spring picture without the hazards to your fluffy friend.

Pet Insurance

Treatment for accidents that occur due to ingestion of flowers toxic to cats can be very expensive! Insurance can help with these costs, and there’s no waiting period for the cover to start for accidents. Get a Vetsure Pet Insurance quote, or give our friendly customer service team a call on 0800 050 2022.